Proper landscaping techniques not only create beautiful landscapes, but also benefit the environment and save water. In addition, attractive, water-efficient, low-maintenance landscapes can increase home values.
Water efficient landscaping offers many economic and environmental benefits including:
- Lower water bills from reduced water use.
- Conservation of natural resources and preservation of habitat for plants and wildlife such as fish and waterfowl.
- Decreased energy use (and air pollution associated with its generation) because less pumping and treatment of water is required.
- Reduced home or office heating and cooling costs through the careful placement of trees and plants.
- Reduced runoff of stormwater and irrigation water that carries topsoils, fertilizers, and pesticides into lakes, rivers, and streams.
- Fewer yard trimmings to be managed or land filled.
- Reduced landscaping labor and maintenance costs.
- Extended life for water resources infrastructure (e.g., reservoirs, treatment plants, groundwater aquifers), thus reduced taxpayer costs.
This information was taken from Water Efficient Landscaping: Preventing Pollution and Using Resources Wisely.
Keeping the culvert(s) in front of your residence free of debris is important for proper drainage. A periodic check of your culvert(s) and removal of any debris can reduce flooding during the rainy season
To learn more about Water Efficient Landscapes: Click here